2017 Jan 14, we have been in MX since the 10th of December and are heading south (sur) down the coast for Chamela, Tennicatita, Barre de Navidad, maybe Santiago Bay and maybe Zihuatanejo this year? I’m writing this blog from Chamela bay, we just arrived this morning. Hurricane Patricia in 2015 came ashore over Chamela, Jalisco MX … http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/weather/gallery/hurricane-patricia/index.html
Since last post we moved Hajime from La Cruz de Huanacaxtle anchorage onto dock at Marina Vallarta. Had a lovely week visiting with Jess’ dad’s cousins, Bob and Bobbie Berger. We did do a snorkeling trip with friends from Devil’s Bar out to the Arches, (Los Arcos) it was a blast, but alas no photos… a link to google photos… https://www.google.com/search?q=los+arcos+pv&num=100&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS759US759&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQlf_YutjYAhVOxmMKHRFrD7YQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=615 And the tree house is on the golf course near the marina, thought it was cute!
We did get a little work done, finally got everything waxed, got a gallon of 303 fabric guard and sprayed all the canvas avert washing it well. Got a new antenna for VHF (we have two) and installed it. Zaragoza chandlery https://zaragozamarine.com.mx/ has most everything you might need and sometimes prices are not too bad. I think the Shakespeare 5215 classic was like $84 usd minus 7% pay with CC or -10% pay cash. So $76 USD. If you bought it in USA and paid the 16% import you would be real close to that! And you get to climb the mast and photo the marina a bit…
Interesting thing happened on leaving Marina Vallarta, you pass through the commercial port and a USA Coast Guard Cutter was docking. Seems everyone should be on ch 13 and wait for the port captain to open the harbor again… We were hailed be a gentleman in a fishing vessel and schooled on the protocol… Nicely done. We circled in the harbor with the rest of the fishing boats until the all clear was given, maybe 5 minutes…
And a lovely sail/motor south 90 Nm from port to bay… Some whales, hand a handfull of vessels of interest.
We were hailed after dark and complimented on our running lights visibility and shared via VHF radio and email the details on them, they are inexpensive Attwood Marine LED lights we put into service in 2015/6. The mounting we dreamed up with spare parts, never throw anything away???
And finally, I wrote in an earlier post that I was corresponding with Garmin and that I would follow up. The Garmin representative has responded, again, and tells me that my input is helpful, well he wrote that “the Marine Dept. was working on the items that I submitted”. Hey why not?
Here are some chartplotter screen shots showing the satellite imagery supplied on the Garmin VUS021R G2 Vision card I purchased with 50 percent transparency over the marine chart and some have both radar and depth sounding data too. You can see the charts need updating in some places. Hope Garmin can get it together because other than the poor charting we are liking our new GPSMAP 840XS and GT21 sonar transducer!
They do get thumbs up on the areas they have been updating!
- They have updated Puerto Angel in Oaxaca, but have still missed the sudo Fonatur marina in Chahue Oaxaca, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marina+Chahue,+P+Marina+Chahue,+70987+La+Crucecita,+Oaxaca,+Mexicofirstname.lastname@example.org,-96.1252691,1498m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x85bf2111ebbe261f:0x1ab1b387424b00a!8m2!3d15.7639334!4d-96.1218158
- Mazatlan was mostly done very well, they miss-labeled the Fonatur Marina, but they have missed them in ALL of MEXICO!
- Isla Isabel was prety good
- The San Blas – Mantanchen Bay areas were very good and Chacala was bang on as was the coast line until we hit N 20 deg. 55 min then south of there the shoreline was off by 1/4 mile or more…
- The coastline around Punta de Mita when heading south and turning into Banderas Bay is VERY BAD, the light in not in operation, as charted, it and the buoy are misplaced. The anchorage has some rocky shallow areas that can be very dangerous on both the east and the west ends.
- Later in the trip I figured out how to take screen shots from the GPSMAP 840XS by pressing and holding the “home” button for a few seconds so I got some later images showing radar echo that matches up with the satellite imagery well but with the chart shore contours “not so well”.
I’ll keep after sending in error reports and let y’all know if they are updating!