Most of you know that we broke our crankshaft on our Westerbeke 40 in at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle while charging the batteries at anchor on January 11, 2014. At the time it seemed like a really BIG problem:
We replaced the Westerbeke 40 with a Beta 30 and called her “George”!
George? She is doing fine, young as she is, we worry. However, in the last crossing, her first real test she performed above and beyond the call to duty. George is a Beta 30 ordered on February 11, 2014, imported into Puerto Vallarta, MX directly from Beta Marine LTD in Gloucester England on March 29, 2014, installed (by us) on March 30-31, 2014 at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Jalisco Mexico and first started April 01, 2014…
Now, after sea trials we understood we were “over prop’ed” moderately since we could only make 3300 RPM with our old prop. And still when we were beating (bashing) into a 30+ knot wind and 10 to 15 foot seas she took a WOT (wide open throttle) of around 3300+ RPM. So running at 3000 instead of our cruising 2400 RPM allowed is to make minimum of 3 to 5 knots (when the bow was above the waves)!
Not too shabby… Atta girl George!
When we voted for the 30 HP, 3600 RPM engine as a replacement for the Westerbeke 40, which have considerably different design power curves, we were worried about having made the correct decision. We opted for a motor which, by design seemed to be on the low end of motor one would specify for our 1978 Tartan 37 hull #82.
We thought of another way to do some research on the motor specification issue. A great source is the http://sailboatdata.com/ database, it is however a bit tedious to search for information. I searched for “1976 36 diesel” and found some sailboats similar to our Tartan 37 with the following engines specified ae OE: Red lines below show similar displacement vessels with 30 HP or smaller engines…
Boat Name Engine Mfgr. Model HP Boat Wt.(lbs)
Tartan 37 (1976) Westerbeke 40 38 HP 15500
Islander 36 Pathfinder diesel 50 42 HP 13450
West Indies Morgan 36 Volvo Penta diesel MD-2B 25 HP 17000
Magellen 36 Volvo 25 HP 16300
Medway 36 Westerly Volvo Penta MD 3B 36 HP 16125
Ericson 36C Westerbeke Pilot 20 20 HP 17200
Islander Freeport 36 Perkins 4.108 42 HP 17000
Yamaha 37 (1983) Yanmar 3G MF 20 HP 14330
Island Trader 38 Volvo Penta MD 17C 36 HP 26400
Alpa 38 Mercedes 48 HP 18000
Pearson 38 (1989) Volvo Penta 25 HP 15175
C&C 36-1 (1977) Yanmar 3QM30 30 HP 12000
Dufour 9000 (1979) Perkins 4.108 42 HP 19841
Hunter 356 (2000) Yanmar 27 HP 13900
Catalina 36 mkII (1994) Universal 35 HP 15000
She, George, runs great and got us out of a pretty tight spot with power to spare, what more can you say?
Stuff we are taking care of on the “to do list” this week at dock at La Paz Marina in order to make it a busy week:
Fix the compass light: Usually we are our own worst enemies! It turns out I flipped pos and neg wires when moving the wires for the compass light that had run through the engine compartment… Also found a loose connection in the NMEA wiring while checking the system for the compass light problem which may solve another intermittent autopilot tracking error we have been getting. Good news.
Intermittent fault in the auto pilot rudder feedback circuit is still consistently not showing up even with all the wire twisting and tugging if connectors and splices!
Windless needed greased, cleaned, and sealed up again… We took it apart and broke the seals when it jammed up on a chain knot when dropping anchor back in Jaltimbe, so now it has been cleaned greased and re-sealed!
Checked torque on the engine fasteners, Jess borrowed a torque wrench and all was well! Good news.
Tightened the shaft log packing so it drips about 2 times a minute while at rest. We will keep a check on the running temp and make sure it is staying cool while running!
Noted that the final alignment work, transmission to prop shaft, done in Mazatlan before the last trip has reduced the running vibration considerably! Checked fasteners and all is tight. Good News.
Washed down the cabin and sent bedding to laundry. We had left the cabin roof hatches only latched and not sealed and when the wind kicked up and the bow buried in the waves, we took a little water through the cabin roof hatches.
Noted the chain plate covers we added in La Cruz have sealed up the intermittently leaking chain plates. Good news!
Washing boat, cleaning bottom (that which we can reach from dock with a long handle brush) washing salt out of lines, etc.